Personal tools

You are here: Home / Policies & Minutes / Library Board Minutes / Minutes 2008 / Minutes September 2008

Minutes September 2008

MINUTES
Eldora Public Library Board of Trustees
September 30, 2008

PRESENT: Don Wilson, Kristin Gehrke, Dean Stickrod, Jill Stanish, Dan Gehring

MINUTES were approved. BILLS were approved.

City Administrator, Ian Rigg, explained that the budget process has started and he would like to have capital improvements included on the library’s budget.  He also requested that budget items include explanatory notes.  Draft is requested by December 1, 2008.  Ian also explained that the city would be passing a resolution that smoking areas would need to be a minimum 15 feet beyond the entrance for city buildings.

Dan asked Ian about getting the city to repair the retaining wall to the west of the library building as well as trimming tree that hangs over the library roof. Ian will look into how soon this could be done. Ian indicated that Alliant Energy would need to be called to trim any trees near power lines.

Director’s report was given.  Next month there should be news from McElroy regarding the grant for laptop.

Discussed the Library Patron Service Survey.  It was moved and seconded to use the 2007 survey without any changes.

Discussed making a financial gift to Older Worker Initiative.  Board approved a donation of $100.

Discussed the topic of the library becoming a SHIIP sponsor.  SHIIP volunteer, Gary Van Den Boom was present to answer questions regarding the library’s role as a sponsor. Library would provide space for Gary to meet with clients as well as the use of a computer to sign people up online.  The library would also print SHIIP documents for clients as needed.  A memorandum regarding SHIIP sponsorship will be sent out to all board members and a decision will be made at the October meeting.

Discussed upcoming budget and the need to include future computer needs/expenses for next year’s budget.
Five Year Plan with the amended item 10.7 regarding maintaining a library website was distributed.  Board approved the Five Year Plan.

Discussed the Newspaper Archiving service. There is a potential for grant money from the Hardin County Community Endowment Foundation for the project.  The Hardin County Library Association will investigate the availability of grant money to help with the cost.

The Frey trust money earned over $1000 last year. Discussed possible uses for that money.

Jill gave update from Buildings and Grounds Committee.  The committee had a work day on Monday, Sept. 5. Jan divided hastas and planted them around the base of a tree on the west side of building; Jill weeded the front and west flower beds.  They will wait until spring to purchase additional mulch.

NEXT MEETING: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 @ 5:00pm.